Search this blog

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Review: The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows
Series: The Orphan Queen #1
Publication Date: March 10, 2015
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 391
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
ilhelmina has a hundred identities.

SHE IS A PRINCESS. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.
SHE IS A SPY. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.
SHE IS A THREAT. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others.
Jodi Meadows introduces a vivid new fantasy full of intrigue, romance, dangerous magic, and one girl’s battle to reclaim her place in the world.
Mini Review

I find it funny that I am writing the review to The Orphan Queen after I finished and wrote the one to The Mirror King, but I guess I'm a little backwards in that sense. The first book in the series of the same name did expose a new, enchanting, and perilous world, and the high-born thief of Wilhelmina Korte seeking revenge. For her throne. Her parents. Her stolen birthright, the Kingdom of Aecor.

My only problem with The Orphan Queen was the infuriatingly slow pacing. That, and the cliche plot devices. I guessed who Black Knife was the minute the book opened. Not that the plot was to unmask the vigilante, but I like mystery. On the other hand, I shipped Wil and Black Knife like a hurricane coming into port. Character wise, I only cared for Tobiah, James, and Wil. Everyone else could have jumped off a bridge and I wouldn't have blinked. Most of them were just useless. Those I started liking, killed off. *Throws hands up, slaps book off table*

Wilhelmina (Jesus, I cannot stand that name!) was all that I could ask for in a fantasy heroine. Benevolent to those she loved, badass on the streets, and a master manipulator in the court. I could have asked for less ballroom dancing and more conniving in the castle, but that's my preference. The novel did pick up and blow me out of the water in later chapters.

  Three mini targets slayed