Search this blog

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Review: Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine
Series: The Great Library #1
Publication Date: July 7, 2015
Publisher: NAL
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 351
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction

In an exhilarating new series, New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine rewrites history, creating a dangerous world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived the test of time.…
        Ruthless and supremely powerful, the Great Library is now a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.
        Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family, who are involved in the thriving black market. Jess has been sent to be his family’s spy, but his loyalties are tested in the final months of his training to enter the Library’s service.
        When his friend inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn…
Think Rick Riordan meets Fahrenheit 451. That's the exact feeling that I had while I was reading Ink and Bone. Basic premise includes the burning of books, young students in training, and a young, white male lead with potential, and diverse, shadowed supporting roles.

So, I've had this book from the library way longer than my expected due date. It's safe to say that I owe my library a couple dollars in late fees. But that didn't help me read this book any faster. I actually read it slower. Because it was dull. Filled with trials and tribulation, Library jargon and countless tests and trips. I would undulate between tirelessly bored, and mildly interested for the whole duration of the book.

My main problem was the character development. How there were so many characters, and quite a few submitted themselves to stereotypes. The sultry and pompous Spaniard, the meek and quiet Japanese girl. Meanwhile, with the diversity of all these international postulates coming together in Alexandria, there was plenty of flat characters that struct to rage rather than evoking any other characteristic of human emotion. And the string of character deaths did not pose a greater resonance to furthering the plot or evoking an emotional response. It seemed as a means to an end in lowering the book's character population.

Needless to say, I don't think Ink and Bone is worth my $3 library fine, but the things I do for finishing a book. I will find myself reading the second book to see what happens with Jess and the rest of the gang now that they're split up into their newly assigned internships. And I am curious to see how the fight between Jess and the Library goes. Maybe a glimpse into the Iron Tower. Also, looking to see some more of Jess' family intermingling.

Also, irony alert. This book is about the power of the Library has on us as readers. Here I am, reading a library book about a Library, in which I have to now pay for having read the book and procure it's return. Irony, and inception. (I know the fine is my own fault, I'm just trying to be funny.)


The amount of money I spent reading this library book :/